Re: Totally OT venting...

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>
Subject: Re: Totally OT venting...
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:26:50 -0500
Barrie Robinson wrote:

> Have you noticed how cars are no longer fun?  Four wheel
> drifts, tail-out cornering and fancy gear shifts are not only
> gone but no longer part of youth.  No longer can you gaze at
> your engine and decide that you might like a hotter coil,
> or different plugs.  Instead you are faced with incredible
> complexity, albeit, nicely packaged.  My new VW Golf GLS
> is great but it is characterless in that it does everything
> smoothly, quietly, logically and boringly.

New cars are largely made for stupid people.  That is why some cars now come
with back-up warning sensors - so the intellectually inept do not back-up
into that wall behind them.  Even though the driver is equipped with a
perfectly functioning set of eyes - just not a functioning brain.

Anyhow, as there are an '03 VW Jetta 1.8T (5spd Tiptronic) and a '97 VW
Jetta 2.0 (5spd manual) sitting in the driveway, there are some major
differences.  First, the older Jettas (MK3s) are way more fun to drive; no
ESP, no ASR, no satellite navigated auto pilot.  I think you'll find most
people who have driven the MK3 and MK4 Golf / Jetta platform will tell you
the same thing... the MK3s are more driver involving.  Do not get me wrong,
the 60HP extra in the 1.8T sure is nice, it'll get you moving in a hurried
fashion when you mash the proper pedal.  But the sport suspension and the
17" alloys, and rear disc brakes on my new VW does not make it feel any more
sporty than my '97 with 14" alloys and rear drums.  I have no doubts though
that the '03 is more capable, quicker, stops better and handles better - but
everything feels more muted and dull.  Oh, the MK4 platform definitely has a
much stiffer unibody.

I do not even want to discuss the upcoming MK5 Jetta platform... it looks
like an inch for inch copy of the Honda Accord, but with some more chrome
window trimmings.  Wonder if VW bought the Honda design, just as Ford bought
the old VW Passat design (my unofficial explanation for the obvious
similarity of the Ford 500 and Passat).

But Barrie, I think you are remark is right... if we want to have fun cars
in the future, those of us with who still have not succumbed to cruise
control and OnStar, will be looking to the past for genuinely fun classics.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke
Wishbone Classics