Re: Wheels go round and round

To: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheels go round and round
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:53:04 +0100
But that is my point, the squish in a tyre, and particularly a flat one,
results in squirm of the tread on the road, or the wheel turning relative to
the tyre, that means that the distance a car travels along the road *isn't*
the same as the same as the circumference of the fully inflated and unloaded
tyre.  If one accepts that distance travelled for a given number of
revolutions *is* governed by the radius of a *solid* wheel, then one must
accept that the *rolling* radius given by a tyre has the same effect.  The
'excess' is taken up by squish and squirm, which is what generates the heat
in a normally inflated tyre and the excess heat in an under-inflated tyre.