Re: Fuel cell

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel cell
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:13:28 -0700
Making hydrogen from fossil fuels is just a profiteering concept from the
oil lobbies, which dominate US politics. The method generally espoused is by
running electricity through water, splitting it into hydrogen and oxygen --
simple as that. Plenty of water about. Where the electricity comes from is
more iffy. If it comes from coal-burning plants, there is a problem, carbon
and emissions-wise. Though one can argue that is is cheaper and simpler to
control and regulate stationary sources, like power plants. And anyway, coal
(or nuclear, or hydropower) is not a suitable fuel for vehicles, so
converting it to electricity (also not very suitable) and then into
hydrogen, is arguably appropriate. But converting petroleum directly into
hydrogen is laughably inefficient, and could only be considered by a
thoroughly corrupt and cynical administration with ties to oil interests.
Sound familiar?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149