Re: Road Pricing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Road Pricing
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:31:49 -0700 (PDT)
--- Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com> wrote:

> Got a link to this information? I'm really curious about this whole
>
> deal. I have just assumed it would be sort of like Cadillac's
> system
> that lets them monitor you in real time.

I'll search for one.  This is a hot topic in the "underground
press" here in Washington (ie, it's not getting covered at all
by the major city newspapers and TV stations), and both Oregon
and Washington are are researching this system.  It will
track where you go and when (so that they can tax you more
for using congested freeways furing rush hour) but there
isn't the bandwidth to monitor the cars in real time.  The
proposals here and in Oregon would have a transponder at each
gas station (hey, conscript Ma N' Pa store owners as tax
collectors!) that would download the information from your
car, compute the tax, and add it on to your gas bill when
you fill up.

I'd imagine the Evergreen Freedom Foundation and other
conservative == libertarian think tanks would have more
information on it, but I'll need to check.

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com