Re: Road Pricing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Road Pricing
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 09:27:13 -0700 (PDT)
--- Dave Wood <dwood143@comcast.net> wrote:

> Having lived in Oregon for the past 45 years or so, I can almost
> promise you
> that the current state legislature won't pass any bills in the near
> future. About all they can pass is gas!

You're lucky.  Here in Washington, we just got done with the most
abusive legislative session in state history.  93 bills were passed
as "emergency" measures so they would not be subject to referendum.
One of these "emergencies" was to let California set our auto
emissions laws, but only after 2009 and only if Oregon passes a
similar law first.  Some emergency.  Another emergency was to
adopt HR rules for hiring land appraisers. We've just suffered the
highest tax increases in history, too, because of the "emergency"
repeal of a voter initiative passed over a decade ago to limit
tax increases based on a formula tied to population growth and
inflation.  14% revenue growth due to a recovering economy
wasn't enough for them.   Oh for the luxury of gridlock!

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com