Re: RE: Strange Ignition Behaviour (was This is scary stuff)

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Subject: Re: RE: Strange Ignition Behaviour (was This is scary stuff)
From: kmwheeler@ualr.edu
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:24:23 -0500
In the vernacular:  "you da man!".

Actually (specific years aside) I think in the case of the rally car it was a
coil that was suffering from primary
winding failure (shorting out).  I figured it out when I was looking through a
shop manual, saw a resistance
value for the coil and thought "Hey, I are a engineer.  Go to lab and get
ohm-meter thingy!".

Coil was replaced with a Lucas Sports Coil.  Later points were replaced with
some nice non-melting,
non-"give me attention" semiconductor bits.  Then I was adjusting mixtures with
a color tune and
get smacked.  Wow!  I've never checked my personal calibration in the kilo-volt
range, but suffice to say
(from experience) that the electronic ignition plus sports coil makes a spark
that is far more attention
getting than any points type system that I've been hit by.

I will never go back to points, unless I'm racing in a vintage/historic class
that requires it.

-Keith