Strange Ignition Behaviour (was This is scary stuff)

To: miket@maine.rr.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Strange Ignition Behaviour (was This is scary stuff)
From: kmwheeler@ualr.edu
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:15:01 -0500
Points.  Yuck.  I'm so glad I went to electronic ignition on the rally car ('68
'B GT).  Prior to that wonderful move,
(well wonderful except when I got hit by an ignition spark!  wow!) I had a
strange thing going on that at first
I could not explain, then, like so many bizarre car situations, it seemed
totally logical when I found the progenitor
fault.

The car started to run poorly, symptoms of an ignition fault.  It had fairly
new wires, plugs, cap, rotor, points, condenser...

I checked the points gap.  Way too small.  Adjusted it, drove car.  Ran OK for
a while, then back to classic
ignition fault behaviour...

I could NOT keep my points adjusted.    I'd set 'em, the car would run great
for a trip or two around the block, and then
start to stumble again....

I'm not going to tell you what I found right away, here's a chance for the
gurus to do some "bench wrenching".

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary