RE: RE: Strange Ignition Behaviour (was This is scary stuff)

To: <kmwheeler@ualr.edu>
Subject: RE: RE: Strange Ignition Behaviour (was This is scary stuff)
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:45:30 -0700
Thanks.  I'm very good at learning from experience.  I think the term
"Yet another F&)^^&-(&^^( learning experience" was coined just for me.

Watch out for too hot of a spark.  The 25D Distributor was just not
built with adequate clearances and tolerance to handle too much juice.
High speed shorting and tracking will ruin top end performance as the
little electrons go where they will instead of down the plug wires.

I've been contacted by a number of racers that converted to electronic
ignition in the 25D, then had major tracking problems under high loads
and constant track conditions.  Most of them were running too hot of a
coil or MSD system.  For the street they work fine.

The 45D has a bit more space between the critical bits and will handle
hot ignitions better as it was designed from the get go for electronic
ignition demands.

Kelvin Dodd

vintage/historic