Re: Faultless MGB-GT

To: Mark Hineline <hineline@ocotillofield.net>, Emjaxfl@aol.com
Subject: Re: Faultless MGB-GT
From: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:39:46 -0800 (PST)
This helps. Is it important to have a glove box or not? The mid chrome bumper
models did not (68-71?). I would think that this would be more to her liking.
Narrowing the search to a 72,73,74 will help. There are AC units out there or
Vintageair in Fla and others can do the job for about 2k with modern coolants.
You will probably want to look into a larger Alt to handle the increase demand.
The Saturn conversion is not uncommon and fairly easy to do. A new wiring
harness is not a bad idea but I would stay with the original type as when
maintained (or new) works very well. British Wiring is a great place to go to
for that. For a bit extra they will place in any extra connections/wires you
might need. The original seats are pretty comfortable but the Fiero seat is all
but a drop in and the Miata conversion is doable as well.
  I do not know if anyone has done a Bosch FI system for a B yet. It would not
surprise me. The Weber DGV is a stone simple/reliable carb for short money and
maybe worth looking into. Moss is about to debut an FI system made for cat
equipted cars. Maybe that would work for you.
  The regular lever shocks work well and are robust without being too stiff.
Look into some reuilt units. The petronix system has a pretty good reputation
for EI But Crane is good too. I think Magnafluzing the rear end may be a bit of
over kill but if it makes you feel better go for it (comfort is worth some
cash. You could even looking into a V6 conversion. The GM 2.6 is a very
popular. There are BBSs that deal with just that subject.
  Hopefully this will get you started when combined with a few other ideas
  Carl French

Mark Hineline <hineline@ocotillofield.net> wrote:
  On Nov 19, 2005, at 5:11 PM, Emjaxfl@aol.com wrote:

> What is your budget for the project going to be?

For the sake of argument, let's say $12,000, including cost of car (in
the $3000 to $5000 range)

> What time frame to have for a finished car?

Three to five years

> Is there a preference of model year?

When did rubber bumpers come in? '75? So roughly '70 to '74

> Can we prioritize the modifications to the car?

Sure.