Re: Thanks for the advice- sputtering 74 MGB

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Thanks for the advice- sputtering 74 MGB
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:31:38 -0800
I don't know about easier to install, but yeah, I eventually got around to
that. But not having to remove and replace the distributor at every tune-up
probably preserved the distributor housing, and the time saved has doubtless
paid for the upgrade 20 times over, over and above the minimal cost of
regular points replacement.

Seriously, I think this upgrade was a no-brainer. (for a driver that makes
no pretense of "factory correctness"). I am possibly a little more dubious
about the Pertronix, even if the appearance is more "correct".

On the other hand, on my "muscle car" I have retained the original dual
point distributor, even though it is twice the pain in the butt, and also
requires complete removal in order to refit or adjust the points. But in
that case I felt it is part of the "wow" factor. You might think dual points
would be more reliable but that is not necessarily true... I recall one long
interstate trip where a failed condensor ate both sets down to bare nubs, at
which point it sputtered to a halt with no spark. Of course I had spares,
but then it turned out the ground wire was broken... I eventually wound up
totally rebuilding the distributor on that trip.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149