Re: Thanks for the advice- sputtering 74 MGB

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Thanks for the advice- sputtering 74 MGB
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 15:00:57 -0000
Ah, I'm not doubting that an electronic pickup reduces the effect of sloppy
bearings, as it is the slope of the cam combined with the spring of the
points that will tend to maximise the wobble, and indeed the backlash in the
drive, that is available.  What I was questioning is that an optical trigger
is *unaffected* by wobble that causes the slot to pass back and fore across
the beam.  My contention is that wobble in this direction can still affect
the timing, whereas wobble of a slot towards and away from the beam will not
have any affect.  Wobble in *either* direction with points will affect
timing.  I'd hazard that a magnetic pickup would be somewhere between points
and an optical trigger.  I'd still never fit *either* just to 'cure' a
wobble ... but then I'm a dinosaur :o)

PaulH.