Re: V.B. Power Door Locks

To: "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: V.B. Power Door Locks
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:52:21 -0000
I already had the alarm installed, it was my daily driver, two of us often
in it, adding the locks to my existing alarm seemed a no-brainer as my wife
can get into the car without waiting for me to lean across and unlock it for
her. (I'm sure someone will interject here saying I should be *holding* the
door open for her ...).  It is only occasionally I have to get as close as
the drivers window to unlock it, and incidentally switch off the alarm, and
although I could still unlock the door with the key all that would do would
set off the full son et lumiere.  As to 'why bother?' as I say it was my
daily driver, lived outside, and had been the subject of two attacks within
the space of a couple of weeks, the second of which they had the radio
(minus its face-plate).  How would an alarm stop someone breaking in do I
hear you say?  Because I installed an alarm with a microwave outer perimeter
which gives a warning beep if anyone gets too close.  A couple of weeks
after fitting it the beep went off one evening, but never again.  Coming
back to steal my new radio (which was now a fully removable one kept in the
house overnight)?  Possibly, it didn't happen again.  You can always open
the doors with a flat battery - unless you have been daft enough to remove
the external locks.  As it happens I can also open the bonnet from outside
the car, although I can't see the relevance.

PaulH.