RE: Speaking of oil prices... (and getting rather off-topic)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Speaking of oil prices... (and getting rather off-topic)
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:23:28 -0700 (PDT)
--- Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com> wrote:

> PLENTY of people buy large SUV's because
> they CAN,  not necessarily because they need the space.

I think we're going to see the beginning of the end of the
SUV craze this summer as gas breaks $3.00/gallon (which
it may do around here by the end of the month).  Several
astute car makers are already hedging against this with
station wagon (shooting brake) style AWD "crossover" cars.
All fads come to an end.  Remember the pickup truck fad
in the late 70s?  The minivan fad in the late 80s?  Or
am I dating myself?  :-)  People like me will probably
continue to own a midsize or small SUV because we need to
tow a trailer, handle unforseen weather (although global
warming may save us from that -- no don't start a thread on
that tavern brawl, please), drive on the beach or dirt roads,
and have a relative degree of comfort for the commute.
But I wouldn't want to have a mortgage on a Hummer
dealership right now...

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com