Re: Brake Trouble! UPDATE!

To: "John Roberts" <robe3099@bellsouth.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Trouble! UPDATE!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:22:44 +0100
I can't remember what went before this, in what way don't the brakes stop
the car?  Does the pedal go to the floor?  Is it solid but offers no
retardation?  Or what?

For a start the rears offer very little retardation, the vast majority of
the braking effort is at the front.  Do you have a servo?  Is it working?
The servo in the combined master and servo has a very significant effect on
braking effort unlike the remote servo which has very little.  I only have
the remote type but have driven one with it disabled and after the first
push of the pedal to see what effect it had had never noticed it again.  But
others have said if the combined servo is disabled it does make the car much
more difficult to stop.

Are you getting strong fluid flow from both caliper bleed nipples?

Is this car new to you and always been like it?  If so have you another MGB
to compare it with?  They do need more pedal pressure than a modern car.
Did this develop with a previous braking system? Did you embark on some
refurbishment and this is the result?

PaulH.