Re: Brake Trouble! UPDATE!

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Trouble! UPDATE!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:08:41 +0100
Absolutely not.  Early MGBs didn't have split braking systems but kept
pretty much the same front and rear brakes all through.  UK cars got the
split system much later.  The relative sizes of the pistons, front and rear,
is what controls the proportion of braking effort (on the MGB, other cars
have used a proportioning valve), front to rear, the much larger surface
area of the front pistons compared to the rear pistons giving the much
higher braking efforts required at the front.  The GT has bigger rear slave
pistons than the roadster because its greater weight can stand more braking
effort without locking.  OTOH the V8 GT has the roadster items as its harder
springs can cause more unloading of the tyre and hence is more likely to
lock.

In any case, AFAIK the pistons in the split master are the same size.

PaulH.