Re: [Mgs] New Harness has arrived

Subject: Re: [Mgs] New Harness has arrived
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 08:49:17 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc" <smarc@smarc.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 12:08 PM
Subject: [Mgs] New Harness has arrived

My new main harness has arrived from British Wiring. This will be my
first experience changing out a harness...

My plan is this -

While removing the old harness, I will label each wire so as to have a
reference to look back at.

Install new harness, hopefully there aren't too many 'mystery' wires.

When complete, I plan to put a 5 amp fuse in series with the battery for
testing in case there are any shorts!

Any hints or tips gratefully received!

--
Marc
======================

Marc, as others have said, clip the old wires where they attach to each
terminal/component.  However, before attaching the new harness, check each
wire left on the car vs a wiring diagram.  I went through this with the 79
LE I picked up cheap with a burnt and mangled harness.  There were a couple
instances where it was wired wrong.  If you don't correct these, you will
possibly repeat the original letting-out-of-the-smoke ceremony.  It won't
take much extra time and could save you a big headache.

Larry Daniels

79 MGB LE
60 Bugeye
67 Austin A60 Pickup (Ute)

"You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it
shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape."