Re: [Mgs] Need info on original 1968-71 MGB fog lamp switch

To: "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Need info on original 1968-71 MGB fog lamp switch
From: "Gosling, Richard" <r.gosling@penspen.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 08:56:41 +0100
Obtaining a driving license in the UK is much like Hans described for
the Netherlands.  It wasn't easy when I did it 17 years ago (took me two
attempts), and it's got harder since.  Minimum age is 17, you have to
take a multiple-choice theory exam and a computer-based hazard
perception test before you can apply to take the practical exam (I never
did these, they are new since I took the test).  The practical exam
involves a 3/4 hour or so test driving around a variety of road types.
This includes parallel parking, 3-point turns, emergency stops,
roundabouts (what I failed on first time), hill starts (as long as
there's an appropriate slope near the test centre!), and so on.  You
have to take the test in a manual (stick-shift) car, or you are
restricted to automatics for the rest of your life unless you re-take
the test.

Of course you still see plenty of bad driving in the UK, but the bulk of
it I would classify as wilfully stupid, selfish, or over-exuberant,
rather than incompetance or inability to handle a car.  Incompetant
driving largely comes from our most senior citizens, old enough to have
acquired a license before testing was required, and refusing to
acknowledge that their physical faculties are no longer up to the task.

Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT)
privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return E-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use
or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.
Please note that E-mails are susceptible to change.
The Penspen Group shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any
delay in its receipt or damage to your system. The Penspen Group does not
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or that
this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.
The following UK companies within the Penspen Group and any electronic
communication sent on behalf of any of them, are subject to the provisions of
the UK Companies Act 1985;
PENSPEN HOLDINGS LIMITED (Company Number : 980600) Registered Office: 3 Water
Lane, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1TJ Registered in England and Wales (VAT No; 239
7770 19)
PENSPEN LIMITED (Company Number: 584446) Registered Office: 3 Water Lane,
Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1TJ Registered in England and Wales (VAT No; 239 7770
19)
(Unipen, Penspen Integrity and Andrew Palmer & Associates are operating
divisions of Penspen Limited and Spencer & Partners and Pencol are trade names
of Penspen Limited)
MANCHESTER JETLINE LIMITED (Company Number: 2392093) Registered Office: 3
Water Lane, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 1TJ Registered in England and Wales (VAT No;
537 8635 08)