Re: [Mgs] powder coat color for wire wheels

To: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>, leylandauto@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] powder coat color for wire wheels
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 11:03:39 -0800 (PST)
Hello Gang,

As you folks know, I am less of a stickler for color
than most MG enthusiasts.  I guess that feeling comes
from my roots with Italian cars where the general
opinion is that the car is under the paint, not part
of it.  Of course, the Corvette guys are the extreme
case where a car is incorrect is the paint code is
wrong.

I plan to paint my wire wheels with PlastiCoat
aluminum wheel paint then over-spray them with clear.
That second step, as someone here posted, tends to
smooth-out the just-painted-with-hardware-store-paint
look.

And I agree with the powder-coating being potentially
problematic.  The window frames and all other aluminum
trim on my 308GTB are powder-coated satin black and
its a great, tough finish BUT the concerns about the
screw threads are genuine and could potentially
preclude adjustments in the future.  Paint is just
easier and refinish-able.  Much cheaper too.

rick