Re: [Mgs] powder coat color for wire wheels

To: Dave Willner <dwillner@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] powder coat color for wire wheels
From: James F Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:54:50 -0500
I believe it is difficult to specify a color because there is little
standardization in colors available.  I lucked out a few years ago
buying out the end of a lot from Surpluspowdercoating.com and I got what
I think is a nice blend.  I can't vouch for it's accuracy in comparison
to other "standards" but it worked well for me on other items.  I
haven't done spoke wheels.

The comments about concerns that the wheel is a dynamic piece subject to
movement shouldn't cause concern.  PC is simply a paint that is applied
differently.  It will work at least as well, and usually better, than
paint on any item.  There are different blends, some more flexible than
others (e.g., epoxy, polyurethane, etc.), in a variety of different
gloss levels and color.  The one I have is a satin finish.  In doing my
own, I learned that the gloss finishes have a tougher time applying to
sharp edges; tends to bleed away when curing.

See if your powder coater can show you some samples.

Jim