Re: [Mgs] alternative to the inverted oil filter mount?

To: "Paul Root" <ptrmgb@gmail.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] alternative to the inverted oil filter mount?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:15:52 +0100
I don't think the filter being hanging or inverted is the issue, but the
seal.

I've had exactly the same thing happen to me three out of the last five or
so years.  Well, I say exactly but in my case the seal seems to seal itself
after pushing out about half a cupful of oil.  The first time it happened
(after 17 years or so without a problem) was the second time I had used a
Volvo filter.  The next Volvo filter I used it happened again, so I
suspected some issue with the filter.  This year I used a Mann and the same
thing happened again.  Whilst the Volvo filter has no tightening
instructions certainly the second and third times I was careful not to
over-tighten, only turning about 180 degrees after contact, but the Mann
says 270 degrees.  I also oil the seal on the new filter, and don't wipe off
the face it contacts.  Maybe it's some generic thing with the rubber used
for the seal, or the adhesive, but yours is the first instance of this I
have come across apart from my own.

As for inverted or hanging - give me inverted any day.  Yes oil dribbles out
while you are unscrewing, but the canister stays oil-free and on the MGB at
least that is relatively easily trapped by positioning newspaper under the
filter head to form a bowl.  My V8 is hanging and that also dribbles oil as
soon as you start unscrewing, and that runs down the side of the filter
making it nigh-on impossible to turn the filter while wearing latex gloves
without wrapping masking tape or similar round the canister to start with.
That also needs newspaper pulled up and round the canister to catch the
leaking oil.  My ZS is even worse as that filter is below the engine, so not
only do you have the aforementioned problems but the oil is running up your
hands while unscrewing.  It's relatively easy to punch a hole in the ZS
canister from below and let it drain before fully unscrewing it, but only
after you have *started* unscrewing it (I hope I don't have to explain why
...)!  That's much less of an option on the V8.

PaulH.