Re: [Mgs] alternative to the inverted oil filter mount?

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] alternative to the inverted oil filter mount?
From: Paul Root <ptrmgb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 06:56:14 -0500
I only use the Wix or the NAPA Gold. This one was a NAPA Gold 1068.

On Jul 27, 2011, at 11:58 PM, Barney Gaylord wrote:

> Faulty filters.  Switch to a dfferent brand.
>
> I've been using the late MGB inverted spin-on filter adapter in my MGA for
about 20 years and 200,000 miles with no problem, and I really like the thing.
I guess that I've changed the filter about 50 times at 4000 mile intervals (2
to 5 times per year).  I usually use NAPA Gold oil filter number 1068 (made by
WIX).  Good stuff.

> Barney Gaylord
> 1958 MGA with an attitude
> http://MGAguru.com
>

> At 03:51 PM 7/27/2011 -0500, Paul Root wrote:
>> Yep,
>>        That's the one that came loose. This filter sat on my shelf in the
garage over the winter. That may have something to do with it.

>> On Jul 27, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Max Heim wrote:
>>
>> > Doesn't the 77 use a spin-on filter? I have that adapter installed on my
66 (since I have the later 4-syncro OD tranny and starter), and the only
gasket I'm aware of is built-in to the filter cartridge. I've never had that
come loose.

since I was in the garage, and dirty, I decided to change the oil on the MGB
(77).

was getting no pressure. I look over, oil is pumping out. Pulled the oil
filter, and the rubber gasket came out of it's channel.

inverted filter mount. Are there alternatives? Being a 77, I have the larger
starter so I guess an early hanging filter will not work.

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive