Re: [Mgs] alternative to the inverted oil filter mount?

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] alternative to the inverted oil filter mount?
From: Paul Root <ptrmgb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 07:13:03 -0500
Of my 3 cars, the MG is the middle in terms of oil changing pain.

The Subaru is the best, the filter is right out in front, with nothing around
it.

The Mazda6 is up above a half shaft with not quite enough room on either side
to get it out without a lot of fiddling. It leaks out and runs down the filter
as you are loosening, Then you have to tip it and make a mess to ultimately
get it out. Maybe a punch hole in the center is the way to go for that too?

On Jul 28, 2011, at 3:15 AM, Paul Hunt wrote:

> I don't think the filter being hanging or inverted is the issue, but the
seal.

> I've had exactly the same thing happen to me three out of the last five or
so years.  Well, I say exactly but in my case the seal seems to seal itself
after pushing out about half a cupful of oil.  The first time it happened
(after 17 years or so without a problem) was the second time I had used a
Volvo filter.  The next Volvo filter I used it happened again, so I suspected
some issue with the filter.  This year I used a Mann and the same thing
happened again.  Whilst the Volvo filter has no tightening instructions
certainly the second and third times I was careful not to over-tighten, only
turning about 180 degrees after contact, but the Mann says 270 degrees.  I
also oil the seal on the new filter, and don't wipe off the face it contacts.
Maybe it's some generic thing with the rubber used for the seal, or the
adhesive, but yours is the first instance of this I have come across apart
from my own.

> As for inverted or hanging - give me inverted any day.  Yes oil dribbles out
while you are unscrewing, but the canister stays oil-free and on the MGB at
least that is relatively easily trapped by positioning newspaper under the
filter head to form a bowl.  My V8 is hanging and that also dribbles oil as
soon as you start unscrewing, and that runs down the side of the filter making
it nigh-on impossible to turn the filter while wearing latex gloves without
wrapping masking tape or similar round the canister to start with. That also
needs newspaper pulled up and round the canister to catch the leaking oil.  My
ZS is even worse as that filter is below the engine, so not only do you have
the aforementioned problems but the oil is running up your hands while
unscrewing.  It's relatively easy to punch a hole in the ZS canister from
below and let it drain before fully unscrewing it, but only after you have
*started* unscrewing it (I hope I don't have to explain why ...)!  That's much
less of an option on the V8.

> PaulH.

Mgs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html