mini-baja

Re: Motor and tube dimensions

To: Carlos Alberto Briones Martinez <carlosinlove@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Motor and tube dimensions
From: susantoa@pdx.edu
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:08:39 -0800
The other tubing dimensions that you can use mainly depends on what you can
find locally.  Use the spreadsheet (or do your own calculations, as our
spreadsheets are not guaranteed correct though that's what we use) to determine
that your equivalent strength calculations meet the requirements.  The EI and
Sy*I/c of your new tubing dimensions need to exceed that of 1"x0.083"

The ones that many people use here at 1.25"x0.049" and 1.25"x0.065.  There has
been quite a debate lately about 1.25"x0.049".  We personally have experienced
localized crushing with .049", but that's because we use fairly low strength
mild steel (A36 structural steel with yield strength of around 36000psi).
Others have good results with 1.25x0.049 because they use higher strength steel
(even chromoly at typically at least twice the strength of our steel).

1.25x0.049 meets the standard with substantial weight savings (around 20%)
whereas 1.25x0.065 exceeds the standard with negligible (around 1%) weight
increase.

Hope this helps,

Andre S