Re: Morgan Overdrive?

To: simonog@avnet.co.uk, morgans@autox.team.net, NHJL45A@prodigy.com
Subject: Re: Morgan Overdrive?
From: LanceKL@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 20:21:39 -0400
In a message dated 96-07-21 19:32:31 EDT, simonog@avnet.co.uk (Simon J Orebi
Gann) writes:

<< >Is it "Kosher" to outfit a Morgan with a transmission, rear-end, or
 >overdrive that will allow easy highway cruising?  I use my little
 >English roadsters for everything;  commuting, long trips, grocery-
 >getting, little rallys, and a decent rear-end ratio sure does come in
 >handy.
 >
 >Is this heresy?                    Lannis

 Yes!

Have to disagree with the response to Lannis.  There is no reason that a
Morgan that is driven on a regular basis should not be modified to improve
its performance.  I know of several Morgans that have been modified with
overdrive transmissions for the exact reason that Lannis enquired about.
 Other modifications include changing brake master cylinders in older Morgans
to provide the safety of dual braking circuits.

In my opinion any modification that improves the safety or reliability of the
Morgan while keeping in the spirit of the car is fine.  Of course if the only
driving seen by the car is the drive into and out of the trailer prior to the
concours, then of course change nothing.

Lance K. Lipscomb
1981 Plus 8