No-scoop bonnet

To: morgans@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: No-scoop bonnet
From: tjsouz@epix.net
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 08:08:11 -0700
Dear Fred S., Bob N., Mike M., Bill L., Jerry M., and Bob A. and the
multitude:
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions re the long carbs/narrow
bonnet dilemma. In order to quantify for myself and for others who have
asked about actual dimensions, I've taken some rough measurements of the
flat rad +4 and the carburetor systems in my collection of related
stuff. The dimensions are approximate because of the various angular
changes in the manifold, carb body and bonnet lines.  I measured three
carburetor sets that I have; one set is in a '58 TR-3A, one set in a '58
+4, and the one set that I'm trying to stuff into the flat rad came from
a '56 TR-3.  (The '56 TR-3 engine is now mounted in the flat rad project
car.)

                        Horizontal Lengths "as installed"( nches)
                        Manifold        SU Carb
        '58 TR-3A       4 1/4           5 1/2   in car
        '58 +4          4 1/4           5 1/2   in car

        '56 TR-3        4 1/4           5 1/2   flat rad candidate

Note: there's an additional 5/16 spacer between the carb and manifold.

Now the approximate bonnet to head distance at the forward SU carburetor
on the '58 +4 is 11 inches along the carb centerline.  On the flat rad
the same distance is 9 inches.  The bonnet tapers even narrower of
course as you go forward the couple of inches to the carb's most forward
edge.  The '58 +4 bonnet is 46" long at the hinge and the flat bonnet is
44-1/2" at the hinge.

In my own little world I only have one size of TR manifold and SU
carburetor, so it was quite educational to hear of the combinations and
permutations possible using later TR systems.

I have the luxury of time to yet ponder the problem, as you all know
these project Morgans go together slowly and it'll be next Fall probably
before I'll have to cut sheet metal if that's the decision.

Again, thank you all for your continued interest and suggestions.

Regards, Tony Souza