Late Model Plus 8 Question

To: "morgans@autox.team.net" <morgans@autox.team.net>
Subject: Late Model Plus 8 Question
From: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@home.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 10:58:35 -0700
On the recent beach trip with the club, one member pointed out that
the four late model Plus 8s all had a slightly odd relationship
between the rear wheels and the fender that Plus 4s and early Plus 8s
did not have.  When looking from the side, the later Plus 8s appear to
have the rear fender arch centerline located slightly rearward of the
rear axle by about 3/4 of an inch.  It gives the tire/fender
relationship a slightly eccentric look.  We had 14 cars to compare
with and only the four cars that were 1985 or later (all Plus 8s) had
this appearance.

Has anyone else noted this or have an explanation?  We speculated on
whether the fender shape was changed, the build process or body
dimensions might have changed, or some other chassis or body change
was incorporated without correcting the mismatch.

I'm curious to hear if others can spot and/or explain the phenomenon?

--
"Entropy Happens!"
Michael D. Miles, PE  Consulting Design Engineer