Re: Late Model Plus 8 Question

To: "Michael D. Miles, PE" <mdmiles@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Late Model Plus 8 Question
From: " LMG@GoMoG " <gomog@angelfire.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 17:52:33 -0400
---
LMG
GoMoG at
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/GoMoG/

The 5 mph impact standard and minimum bumper height
 regs came in force in the US and Canada beginning in
 the late 1970's and continuing to date.

 Bumpers had to placed higher than the British norm (15
 in. center line in 1984) and they had  to be able
 withstand a greater impact than than the MMC
 manufacture.

(Other strengthening and safety modifications were also
required. If you are interested there is an article
 entitled Made in the USA off the Plus 8 page at the GoMoG site you could read
that includes most modifications).

The bumper treatment front and back varied from each
of the 2 US and 1 Canadian agent. Some of the bumper
 support/brackets designed were less than sublime. One
for example, was so heavy that it would take two men to
 lift one Morgan bumper and its support/brackets.

Though standardization is still pending, all agents
 have settled into a hydraulic type support to cushion
 impact the placement and size of the supports still
 vary.

The US support/brackets extend 3-5 inches further than
the Canadian version which hugs the body. The extra
distance is mitigated by a rubber covering around the
bracket.

All variations over the years exceed US/Canadian requirements by a good deal
and far exceed the impact
 tolerance on a standard Morgan. Though not as apparent
 the doors as well vary far from the Morgan standard.
 They have been  greatly reinforced with steel bars and
 have the hinge section on the body replaced with a steel member. And lots
more...

LMG
1984 Plus 8 EFI
Can Spec.