Re: Con Rod Bearings- HELP!

To: "Jeff Webster" <carfindr@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: Con Rod Bearings- HELP!
From: "F Kuzyk" <fkuzyk@cgocable.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 18:45:12 -0400
Jeff,
Plastiguage is used to check bearing clearances due to the tiny values here.
I believe the green color is used for the smallest values (check with a
jobber). On the engines I have worked on, the clearance for main & con
bearings tend to be in the .0005 - .0020 inch range. Check a manual. We're
talking less than 2 thou here!

Basically, you place a strip on the journal. torque the cap. Carefully
remove & compare the width of the crushed plastic with the guage on the
pack. Do not rotate!

As for the gasket - never heard of one.
Good luck!
Fred Kuzyk, MSCCC Past President

Roundel Records MP3 music site:
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Bistro/9044/index.html

My MSCCC Morgan site:
http://members.xoom.com/msccc/

Holy Smokes & Southern Ontario Cigar Society site:
http://members.xoom.com/holysmokes/