Re: Over heating

To: mark.braunstein@lmco.com
Subject: Re: Over heating
From: WRogers28@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 14:38:55 EDT
Mark,

Ref: "Repco Engine Service Manual"    ISBN 0 909638 00 4
        Repco Limited
        630 Kilda Rd.
        Melbourne
        Victoria, 3004           Australia

This excellent reference states that in most modern engines about 2 gpm of
cooling
water are circulated through the engine for every 100 BTU/min. of heat
rejected.
And this works out to about 0.2 gpm for each cubic inch of engine
displacement.
So for a 1086 cc Coventry Climax this would incicate that about 13.2 gpm of
circualting water would be a reasonable design goal.

Your needs could vary widely, depending whether you are cruising lightly or
flat out,
of course. I would be inclined to build in a water bypass line with a
manually adjustable valve so you could vary the flow to the engine and bypass
the excess right back to the radiator. This could be controllable from the
cockpit and varied as
conditions change.

The idea of electric pumps from Cadillacs, etc., is interesting. They might
be turned on by a thermostatic switch, as required. Or being, DC, perhaps
their speed could be varied with a rheostat.

Incidentally, the Repco book referenced above is an excellent reference to
have if you can find it.

My chassis no. is 4/4 828 and the motor no. is #637.

All the factory tags are in German. The British Register indicated that it
was the last Morgan shipped to Munich prior to WWII.

I have no line on gear boxes, unfortunately. My 4/4 has a German ZF
four-speed crashbox that may have been retrofitted in Germany. Don't know if
the factory fitted those boxes to cars destined for Germany. It fits in very
well and looks like it belongs there.

Will be most interested to hear how your cooling project progresses.

All the best,

Bill Rogers