newsletters

Re: Photo quality in newsletters

To: newsletters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Photo quality in newsletters
From: walter@roadster.sps.mot.com (thomas walter x5955)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 15:30:30 CST
Glad to see the "newsletter" list, which I spotted inadvertently
while search for the shop-talk email address.

I used to put out a Datsun Roadster Newsletter for the Oregon/Washington
owners a few years back. Just couldn't take the single sheet of paper
that was being called a "newsletter" any more, and found my "elected"
to the editor position. ;-)

Used plain old Wordstar (gasp) to edit text, and "publish it" to
format everything in place. Tedious, but worked fine.

For photo's I used to run over to the local Kinko's and have them
"screen print" my B&W photo's for $9 for a 8"x11" sheet. They were
screened at 85 lpi (lines per inch). Reproduced extremely well!
[Once after I dropped off 8 photos - which could have fitted into
two scanned sheets. I was shocked by a bill for $72 when picking up
my order! The person on duty that day liked my photo's so much that
they screened each one. Quick word with the manager got the priced
reduced to $18 I expected! After that I was very specific about details!]

Thankfully, now I have the much better task of submitting tech
articles for the Texas Datsun Roadster Owners Club. Our club
President puts out the newsletter quarterly, and I am the last
one to make any "suggestions" about it. ;-)

My wife was "volunteered" to put out a quartely newsletter (non
automotive). Sigh. Looks like MS Word7 (windows95 version)
and Publisher will be put to work shortly.

Cheers,

Tom Walter   '67 & '68 Datsun 2000
Austin, TX.  '44 LeBlonde lathe. ;-)

P.S. Forget the exact wording, but in the back of PC Magazine was
a little clip about Word for Windows "automatic" spelling correction
feature: A fellow finished up a memo for his boss with "I am looking
forward to the successful completion of our efforts". Seems he left
the "m" out of completion, which was 'spell corrected' to copulation!