newsletters

Re: OCR's

To: newsletters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OCR's
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 16:06:12 -0400
At 10:06 AM 9/20/97 -0400, TATERRY@aol.com wrote:

>Hi Barb, I've got a fax program here with OCR and a scanner with OCR.  My
>experience is that it just take too long to clean up the copy after
>scanning or faxing to make it worth while.  My OCR's are less than
>perfect by a long shot.  I'd like to hear what others have experienced.

Terry,

   I just got my scanner a MicroTek E6, it came with Text to Bridge V1.6.
I also have an HP4C at work - don't remember what OCR software it has.
Both of these setups (hardware & software) do a very good job at scanning
and OCR processing.  While I admitt I get a few hits, it depends on the
type size and font, but I usually only get about 5 errors per page.  Once
the files are converted, I pull the file into my Word Processor and run
the spelling checker.  That usually catches the errors very easily.

It takes me about 15 min. to type in a page and less than 5 to scann it.
The both ways, it has to be checked for spelling/typos.  So, it seems to
take less time to scan info than to type it.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire