newsletters

Re: OCR's

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: OCR's
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:50:05 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 20 Sep 1997 TATERRY@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-09-20 04:30:29 EDT, Barbara Leckstein writes:
>
> << have any of you had the club
>  purchase a piece of equipment or software to make the job easier?  I've
>  been thinking about an OCR program.  It would come in handy for the
>  newsletter, but I really can't justify the purchase because I personally
>  have little use for it.  I thought of asking the club, but don't know if it
>  would seem off base. >>
>
> Hi Barb, I've got a fax program here with OCR and a scanner with OCR.  My
> experience is that it just take too long to clean up the copy after scanning
> or faxing to make it worth while.  My OCR's are less than perfect by a long
> shot.  I'd like to hear what others have experienced.

Here's my two-cents worth.

If you get good clean copies, OCR's are great. They can save a lot of
time. If you get crappy copies - anything from bad FAXes to articles that
members submit that have all kinds of different fonts etc. then you are
better of re-typing from scratch - then OCR is almost useless.

So, you need to get your members to mail you clean copy and you need to
train them not to format the articles before sending material.

It's not easy, but it is doable. I'm getting some pretty good submissions
lately.

> Cheers
> Terry

later
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |