RE: shop painting

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: shop painting
From: dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us (Dave Williams)
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 22:04:00 -0500
-> discarded after 8 hours.  In this 8 hour period you can put on the
-> second coat.  It has been on for 7-8 months now and I am quite
-> pleased.  I'll know more in 7-8 years.  It sure is easy to wipe up
-> leaked oil and transmission fluid.

 I put on two coats of Wal-Mart "Porch and Patio" water-base light gray
paint six years ago.  Six *hard* years ago; jacks and jackstands,
dragging engine blocks across the floor, moving heavy equipment,
welding.  It's still doing just fine.  Brake fluid is the only thing
that has bothered it.  Made it pucker some.  Interesting, since it's
basically the same stuff as antifreeze, which didn't bother it at all.

 The concrete was about ten years old when the paint was applied; it
took that long between having the slab poured and getting the shop
built.  The concrete was weathered quite a bit, and had plenty of grease
and oil from parking cars.  Cleaning consisted of scrubbing the oily
spots with gasoline and a broom, hosing it all out, and letting it dry.

 The major difference between the paint I have and the epoxy stuff,
which I've seen in other shops, is that the epoxies do a *much* better
job of covering weathered concrete.  The smoother the surface, the
easier it is to keep clean.  If you can afford it I definitely recommend
the epoxies, but almost any paint is better than bare concrete.  My Dad
argued about it for years.  After he finally painted his he realized how
much time he'd been spending trying to sweep sawdust.

 With a good epoxy coating you don't need a creeper - just lay down,
grab, and slide under the car.  I wondered about it being slippery when
walking around, but from friends' shops and service bays I've been in,
it's basically a non-problem.

==dave.williams@chaos.lrk.ar.us===http://home1.gte.net/42/index.htm==
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?
my heart is human / my blood is boiling / my brain IBM |   who, who?