Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.
From: Steve Dillen <sdillen@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 23:59:54 -0400
---------------------- Forwarded by Steve Dillen/CanWest/IBM on 04/17/9=
8 07:53
PM ---------------------------

shop-talk-owner@autox.team.net on 04/17/98 07:09:29 PM
Please respond to jblair@exis.net
To: mliggett-receive-shop-talk@elise.kiva.net
cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net

John Blair replied with a description of my shop bench!

I had the additional requirement of having the bench fold against the w=
all so I
can fit my car in my 1 car garage.  2x4's lag bolted into the studs, 2x=
4 frame,
with 1/2" plywood on top.  I have enough of an overlap on the back of t=
he
plywood to sit on top of the 2x4 against the wall -- so the pressure is=
 taken
off the hinges.  4x4 legs, hinged to fold in when the bench is taken do=
wn.  For
the height, I measured my kitchen counter and set the same (37 1/2" sou=
nds
right).

I put two of these (each 4' long) along the wall of my garage, bolted m=
y bench
grinder to one of them, and my 5" vise to the other.  I've had my B eng=
ine torn
apart on it, and it works well.  I also covered the top with that 1/8"
wallboard stuff (shiny white on one side, looks like cardboard on the o=
ther)
that I had laying around.  That gives me a non-splinter, replaceable su=
rface.

Having them halved makes it easier to work with a short bench if necess=
ary, and
also reduces the weight when it comes to opening/closing them.

Steve Dillen

=