Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.

To: "Matt Liggett" <mliggett-receive-shop-talk@elise.kiva.net>,
Subject: Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.
From: "Mike Ellsworth" <mikeells@shianet.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:21:28 -0400
Matt,

What has worked well for me for a workbench top is a solid-core door. These
doors are usually 1.75" thick, and have a solid particle board filler. They
are heavy, and seem to hold up well. If you are near a lumber yard that
assembles these to order, you may be able to pick up a couple of damaged
doors, or some that have been used as skids under stacks of doors. I used a
36" x 80" one for my bench top, and a 28" x 80" one for a shelf underneath
it. Try to get the vinyl? coated ones to prevent oil etc... from soaking
into it.

                                Mike Ellsworth