Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.

To: mliggett-receive-shop-talk@elise.kiva.net
Subject: Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.
From: johnm@ims.com (John Miller)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 07:33:12 -0700

Matt Liggett wrote:

> The problem I have now is that I can't find 4x4s that are NOT
> pressure-treated.  None of the local lumber yards have 'em.

So, why use 4X4's?  I've had great luck doubling up 2x4's.
The first one sits directly under the 2x frams that supports
the surface, and then I add a second one that goes on up to
the surface itself to give that spot real solid support.
I drywall screw them together.  Makes for easier assembly, too.

BTW, I always put a small (1/4") chamfer the bottom of the legs.
Keeps them from splintering if/when they slide on the floor.