Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.

To: Matt Liggett <mliggett-receive-shop-talk@elise.kiva.net>
Subject: Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:17:11 -0400
Having just fitted out my third workshop in 5 years I've been following
this correspondence with interest.
What I don't understand is why people want "heavy duty" benches so they
can roll engines around on them. It is much cheaper and far far far far
far better to put the extra money inan engine stand. Mine cost $29 way
back (now about $39) and even this el cheapo still performs perfectly
(of course I'm not rebuilding engines every week.)
Also why do people want 16' long benches - unless they have several
people in the shop (and working) at the same time. You just don't need
that amount of space to WORK at. If you are like me (doubt it, though)
you'll just end up using the surplus space for storage - and shelves do
that much better.
You don't have to agree with me, of course.
Derek
1961 Midget
1976 Lola