Re: Heating a Garage

To: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>, Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Heating a Garage
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 14:53:39 -0500
Eric Murray wrote:
> > This is so true.  Keeping our garage warm has double benefit as the
> > master bathroom is right above.  Those tile floors get *COLD*.
> > Recently I've been improving just the sealing of the doors and it's
> > made a big difference.  I put some weather stripping between the
> > sections of door (conventional garage overhead door) then realized the
> > trim around the door wasn't sealing when the door was closed.  Taking
> > the trim off and repositioning it so that it actually seals has made a
> > huge difference, and I haven't even insulated the doors yet.  That's
> > the next project.
>
> If those are the sort of roll-up doors which have ~2-foot sections that
> run on wheels in a track, I have the same kind of doors.

Yep, those exactly.  Just for reference, my car in front of said
garage doors:

        http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/gallery/driveway/driveway_3.jpg

> Mine're pretty cheap, the backs are just made of pressboard.
> How would you insulate them?  Glue on chunks of rigid foam?

That's the idea.  Home Depot has this solid pink foam about 2" thick.
My doors are just sheet metal (which sweats like crazy when it's cold
out) and I'm gonna cut the foam to size and stick it up there with
Liquid Nails.  Not gonna look pretty from the inside (unless I cover
it somehow) but it should make a *massive* difference.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster
     mailto:Heerschap@kns.com