Re: Heating a Garage

To: "David Ligda" <dligda@home.com>
Subject: Re: Heating a Garage
From: "Malcolm McKean" <mudshark@abandonrite.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:23:07 -0700
My 2 cents worth
Where I live electric is very expensive to heat with, propane is expensive
and natural gas is very cheap.
Depending on where you are and what is the most common fuel available for
heating will decide for you what you require.
Insulate first is sound advice, eliminate all air leaks etc, look at your
door and the seal around it, when the wind blows they can make a huge
difference.

If you heat with natural gas and can afford it go with a radiant heater,
they are great but relatively expensive.  Cost $700 -$1000( local costs
Canadian dollars for 30,000 - 50,000 Btu heater in Calgary).  The radiant
heater does not heat the air as a furnace does but heats objects and at -20
degrees you don't want to be picking up cold steel tools while standing on
cold concrete but nice warm ones while standing on a warm floor. Also in a
garage if you open and close the door it is nicer to have warm objects
instead of just warn air.  note: there can be space constraints with
radiant, don't want to peel all the paint off your car due to too much
heat.
If you have natural gas and don't want to spend so much money you can go
with a cheaper used furnace for anywhere from $50-$500, but will then have
to install fans or some duct work etc. to circulate the warm air around,
can get heaters that produce heat with no fans required but all the heat
ends up at the ceiling, also it will burn more fuel for less effective
heat.
If you have propane you use each of above with correct burner orifices in
place or go with a catalytic heater, but have heard catalytic heaters
generate lots of water moisture as part of the combustion and if real cold
outside the frost build up inside can be annoying.

If you have gas check with gas company, where I live they sell the heaters
in various sizes for residential garages, they can also help with sizing
for desired temp ranges inside for actual outside temps.

All of the above require proper ventilation of exhaust gases, ( catalytic
may not have to be vented? )

I am not familiar with electric heat options since natural gas is readily
available and cheap.
Good luck finding the right solution.