Re: Temporary Shop floors

To: swhiteh3@mediaone.net
Subject: Re: Temporary Shop floors
From: "George P. Dausch IV" <gpd4@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 22:16:16 -0500
Scott,
Those cracks got there for a reason.  Maybe improper concrete placement
back when, maybe current movements, soil related or thermal related.
Don't overlay the slab.
You have several choices, dependent upon dollars and future plans.
1.  Fill the cracks with sand to 1/4" below the slab, fill with a
"dymonic" caulk.  Good quality elastomeric, will bond to the concrete,
but will always remain a little bit soft.  Cheap solution, but if you
keep the garage heated throughout the winter, the sand will preclude the
possible needed floor movement, floor may heave,
2. Buy a foam "backer rod" which is a round foam hose.  Trim and stuff as
necessary to a 1/4" below the floor, fill again with a good quality floor
caulk.  This will allow movement if it becomes necessary.
Home Depot sells an epoxy two part floor paint sealer.  About $40 for 250
square feet.  Mix it up, roll it on, you can even put flecks in it to
simulate future dirt and grease.  I put it down in my machine room and
paint booth, and this spring I'm doing the rest of the shop.  Works
great.
George