Tools.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Tools.
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 06:42:11 -0600
To amplify on previous remarks, yes, I've had a number of problems
trying to exchange broken Craftsman tools at Sears. One fellow suggested
that, perhaps, it was my attitude that was the problem.

At that time, and later, unlike most of the people on these lists, I
wasn't just a hobbyist, but, rather, was working for a living with those
tools as a mechanic, often for a small salary, or in my own business, at
a time when money spent on tools was an always painful, but absolute,
necessity. I _had_ to get the best value I could from them. For the
record, when I handed the pieces of a warranted broken tool to a Matco,
Mac, Cornwall or Snap-On sales rep, I never got an argument, and got a
replacement out of stock immediately. I always got an argument or an
outright denial from Sears.

The fellow saying that it might have been my attitude likely never had
to pay for $1500 worth of tools to make $4.25 an hour.... More to the
point, as I have said--the tool is warranted absolutely, or it is not.
No one should have to argue for service under such a warranty,
especially one as widely advertised as is Sears' with regard to its line
of Craftsman tools.

I don't buy Craftsman tools any longer, because they break, not often,
but regularly enough to require replacement, and I have had bad
experiences getting exchanges, which I believe is related to company
policy--resist and the person will eventually go away empty-handed. If
others have had good experiences, fine. But, I won't spend money on
Sears' premium line any longer, when I can buy comparable tools, at
comparable prices, from sources which don't ever question warranty. To
me, that's just good business. Bob Villa can go piss up a rope, as far
as I'm concerned.

Cheers.