money back guarantee !!

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: money back guarantee !!
From: jniolon@uss.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 07:24:00 -0500

The Craftsman thread reminds me of an experience from several years ago.  I
worked part time in the lawn maintenance business for one of the nicest men
I'll ever know... soft spoken, even tempered and easy to deal with.  When
one of the mowers broke down we fixed it on the job.  This particular time
we were using a Craftsman 3/8" ratchet to try and break loose a nut that
was way too large for the ratchet.  The ratchet gears failed of course.  On
the way back to the shop we stopped at Sears to get a replacement.  My boss
asked very nicely for a replacement for the broken ratchet.  The clerk
looked at the well worn tool and started his "abused" speech.  My boss
listened patiently to him, remarked that it wasn't abused but just well
used, he smiled,  thanked him and we left. I was puzzled and asked him why
he didn't press the clerk for a new ratchet.  He just said quietly.... "
I'll get my ratchet tomorrow"

The next day, when I showed up for work, the truck was loaded with
toolboxes.  I mean LOADED !  two large rollaround boxes, at least 4
intermediate boxes and three or 4 top boxes.  The boss simply said we had
to run by Sears.  I hooked up the trailer, loaded equipment and off we
went.  When we arrived at Sears, he unhooked the trailer and asked me to
help him unload the tools.  We rolled off the rollarounds, stacked all the
others on top and we headed for the tool department.  He made one trip, I
made two..

When the clerk, (the same from the day before) asked what was going on, my
boss just said  " I'd like to see the Department Manager".  The clerk
started some B.S. about the manager was busy and  he could take care of us,
but the boss said a little stronger  " Then I would like to see the Store
Manager".   I think the clerk knew he meant business this time.

 The manager arrived shortly and asked if he could help.  My boss told him
of the problem with the clerk the day before and showed him the ratchet.
The manager asked him about all the other tools.  My boss simply pointed to
the gold leaf writing above the front door of the store that said "Sears,
Roebuck & Co. Satisfaction Guaranteed Or Your Money Back" and said "I'm not
satisfied with Craftsman tools any longer, I'd like my money back."
Honestly there must have been $10,000 worth of tools there. The look on the
Manager and clerks face was worth what the tools cost.  The manager,
somewhat taken back started "But sir, surely..." My boss interrupted saying
" I'd like my money back, please".

After some discussion they finally arrived at a solution.  The ratchet
would be replaced, the clerk would load all the tools back on our truck and
the manager agreed to explain to the clerk  about customers and what the
words above the door meant,  while my boss stood by quietly and listened.
He never had a problem with Sears again

A hard way to prove a point but I think the manager and especially the
clerk learned a good lesson.

So I say......ask for what is owed to you.

john