RE: Shop security

Subject: RE: Shop security
From: Mark Miller <markm@tutsys.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 11:46:13 -0800
My father had his iron/steel fabrication shop broken into and all 'portable'
tools taken.  Before he could file a police report a very drugged out guy
came to the shop and offered to sell him a trunkfull of tools.  Yes, his
own.  And the worst part of it - he couldn't call the police and turn him in
or everything would have been seized as evidence until a trial (maybe a year
down the road, with the NYC backlog at the time) and he'd have to shell out
big bucks to replace them - not covered by insurance, because he hadn't
actually lost them. She he gave him $10 and told him if he ever saw him
again he'd be quite sorry.

After the next break-in, in which $20 of copper wiring was taken out of an
overhead crane motor that cost $1000 to repair, he got Grippo, a very large
dog.  Cleaning up dog crap was easier than dealing with thieves.  Basically
the same thing, when you get right to it.

mark.