Re: Safety question

To: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>,
Subject: Re: Safety question
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:27:01 -0600
From: Tony Clark <lotus.tony@airmail.net>

>Space, safe solvents, welding area screening and a lot of awareness can
>prevent most scary happenings.....Less expected is the hazard of grinding
>sparks . . . I've seen disc grinder sparks travel 20 feet
>and light off a open container of gasoline carelessly left open . . . Even
>less expected, a grinder spark very accurately entered a new battery being
>given an initial charge . . .the caps off.  The resultant hydrogen gas
>explosion blew the battery and acid all over the where!

I know of a shop that burned taking 14 cars (including an E-type, an S1
Europa and a later Elite with Rover V-8 power) after grinding sparks went
through a gap in sheetrock and ignited wall insulation.  No, I don't know
what kind of insulation it was.  Volunteer fire department made it worse by
washing burning gasoline into cars which were until then undamaged.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
LOON, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/