Re: Welding vs. Brazing was "Welding" stainless

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding vs. Brazing was "Welding" stainless
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:45:49 -0700
And speaking of skin burns - for those who are thinking of trying welding, be
aware that arc welding
puts off a lot of UV light. The clothing not only protects you from sparks but
also from sunburn! I
learned that the hard way the first night of class. I had one little gap at the
cuff of my jacket
sleeve and I got a heck of a burn! Took me a couple of days to figure out what
had happened.

One advantage of having an experienced instructor is that (s)he can look at
your work and say "You
need to turn the amps up/down/whatever" instead of you having to take shots in
the dark to figure
out why your bead looks like a gob of chewing gum.

--
Gordon Glasgow
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org