Re: modern paint, old car

To: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Subject: Re: modern paint, old car
From: Steven Shipley <shiples@home.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:46:18 -0800
Stuart MacMillan wrote:

> I've  been through this too.  I now use catalyzed polyurethane enamels,
> usually from PPG since I have a supplier about a mile away!
Me too.  But when I read the label on  the catalyst, I tremble with
fear.
I use Dupont acrylic enamel, uncatalyzed.

> I don't like a clear coat on an old car, it's just not right.  The polys
> give a high gloss without rubbing out, but I rub them out anyway to get
> rid of the orange peel and imperfections you will get with a DIY job.
Me too.  The buffer is my friend.

> Unfortunately, you will be breaking the law if you spray these finishes
> in an urban area at home, not to mention annoying your neighbors.
I wasn't aware that it was illegal to paint in Seattle.  I do a
driveway job every other year or so.  Thought my days as criminal
were over once I quit smoking.  Who enforces this, the boys in blue
or the federales?

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA

///