Re: modern paint, old car

To: "PHINNEY,HARRY K (HP-Corvallis,ex1)" <harry_phinney@hp.com>
Subject: Re: modern paint, old car
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:32:08 -0500
"PHINNEY,HARRY K (HP-Corvallis,ex1)" wrote:

> Trevor Boicey wrote:
> >   Realistically, without spending a small fortune on breathing
> > machines, that's the only viable DIY choice. Anything other
> > than that or lacquer uses isocyanates.
>
> Isocyanates are a very real health concern, and should not be taken lightly.
> My understanding is that normal activated charcoal respirators will filter
> out isocyanates, but such respirators are not NIOSH approved

  From my research, it appears that that is very much untrue.

  Activated Charcoal respirators will not filter
isocyanates.

  I was able to discover references to a special "cartridge mask"
where the single-use cartridges were designed to combat isocyanates.

  However, I wasn't able to find any retailers, or information,
or studies. My guess is that the effectiveness is not proven,
no certification has been approved, and due to American law
structure no company is willing to risk the lawsuits.

  Owing to the above, I decided it wasn't safe enough for
me either, so I stopped looking for them. (not that I had
any indication I could have located them if I wanted to)

  Forced air, or no modern paints.

  Actually in my case my garage is part attached to
my house so even with forced air I think I would have
to pass.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca