Re: modern paint, old car

To: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Subject: Re: modern paint, old car
From: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@cts.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:37:12 -0800
I bought a Wagner Capspray turbine HVLP setup, which is big enough to
supply both the gun and me with good air from 50 feet away outside the
garage/spray booth.  Since it is a turbine there is no risk of oil
vapors or CO.  I am sure it isn't sold for this purpose and I wouldn't
take the responsibility of recommending its use, but I have used it
with two different hoods and several gallons of isocyanate hardened
paint and about a ton of silica sand for blasting.  Trapping the paint
overspray on its way out of the garage in a water bath is a bit of a
challenge.  Ordinary garden hose fittings fit the turbine and adapt to
the hoods.  I use drinking water quality hose in the hope that if it's
OK for water it's OK for air, too.  The turbine HVLP gun isn't ideal
for top coats, although I used it for them, but it works just fine for
epoxy primer and things like that.

-Roland

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:49:31 -0500, Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>