Re: Buildings

To: epetrevich@relavis.com
Subject: Re: Buildings
From: bob bownes <bownes@web9.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:33:15 -0800
> I know that every now and then we talk about steel building. I was
> wondering if anyone had any follow up on them.
> Also, I don't know how big to make it. (I was thinking 40'X40')  But I'm
> thinking that might be overkill.

I have 30x36. It isn't big enough. I am thinking of either

        a) adding a pole barn behind my shop for outside storage
or
        b) moving

30x36 is big enough to *store* 6-8 small cars in. Or have storage for 3
plus workspace. I divide it into 3 parts, each 30x12. One is storage for
a car plus a workbench, the middle is storage and workspace for the race
car, and the last is storage for a project car, the lawnmower, and
machine tools (lathe, mill, bandsaw, etc) But much of that is on wheels
so I can move it around and create space. I find I have another couple
of project cars that could well be stored outside in a dirt floor pole
barn w no problem and I'll get to 'em eventually....

> What about ceiling height?  I was thinking 12' ceiling with a 10' door.
> That should be big enough for the backhoe and most trucks.  Anyone have any
> thoughts on that?

As someone else said, 12x14 doors are best, 12x12 is a minimum. I have
9x9's and they are way too small. I would also think about putting a
door in the other side of the building so I can drive through.

You cannot install a lift with less than a 12 ft ceiling.

> Next, heat.  I live in the northeast and winters are cold.  I don't think
> "radiant floor" is a good solution because I will not need to keep it warm
> all the time.  (I'll keep the plumbing to "weather proof" type)  But when
> I'm in there, I want to heat it up. RF is not the way to change temp
> quickly either.

If you are building from scratch, radiant floor cannot be beat. Just
keeping the slab up to a temp above freezing goes a long way towards
cutting down on the heating costs. If you're pouring the concrete, the
cost to put the pipes in is negligible...And if you use something
exciting like solar heat to keep the slab warm, you can probably get a
nice tax credit for it....:-}

In the Northeast, insulation is key. I'm getting ready to drop
insulation into all the walls in my wood frame shop. Right now, an old
150k BTU oil fired house furnace with 8" ducting across the ceiling
serves as a great heater, but when the exterior temp is ~30 deg, it
takes about 75 min to heat up to workable temp.

///
///