Re: Retractable air hose reels

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Retractable air hose reels
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:48:39 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: <LBC286@aol.com>
To: <ken.landaiche@nokia.com>; <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 11:29 AM

> In a message dated 8/28/02 6:08:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> ken.landaiche@nokia.com writes:
>

> > The web seems to think that $50 is very cheap for a hose reel, thought
most
> > were longer than 25'.
> >
> > What are your experiences with these machines?
>
> - - - - - - - - - -
>
> No experience yet, but I will be looking for this stuff shortly.  My
garage
> is progressing nicely.
>
> Check www.homier.com.  They list a reel (Magnum Air?) with a 50' length of
> 3/8" hose with 1/4" NPT fittings for $39.99.  I don't know what quality
the
> hose is, but it's probably the finest hose China has to offer.
>
> They also list an empty reel for 100' of hose.  The reel alone is $9.99
(plus
> shipping, void where prohibited :-)  Add their 100' Heavy Duty air hose
for
> $15.99 and you are still in the "cheep" range.

<snip>

    I have a hose reel just like this one (although I paid more than $9.99
for it!).  Note that it is entirely manual - it's not one of those automatic
retraction types.  However, it sure beats nothing and actually works quite
well.

    My only suggestion would be to mount it so that it is retracting in line
with the reel, i.e. try to make sure you don't have to guide the hose onto
the reel particularly around a corner.  I had mine mounted on the wall
inside the garage facing AWAY from the door so the hose had to make a U-turn
to get out onto the driveway.  Retracting the hose got irritating after a
while because of the guidance required - however, it never got so irritating
that I left the hose out to trip over (which is what I used to do before I
got the reel).

    In my "new" garage (only lived here 3 years so far and haven't put the
hose reel up yet - heck I haven't finished the air compressor shed yet!) I'm
trying to figure out where to put the reel for best effect.  I thought about
rigging up a pivot to let the reel swing side-to-side to line up the hose up
with the reel but I now think that that would cause more pain than benefit.
With a pivot I'd need 3 hands - one to turn the crank, one to guide the
hose, and one to hold the pivot still.

    What this type of reel needs is a hose guide like is on the automatic
reels that Homier sells - what they list as "Magnum Air Airhose Reel".

> I just placed an order for two of their storage bin racks.  $20 for 24
> plastic bins, 11" X 3 1/2", on a 3 row, metal rack.  Sounds like just the
> ticket.

    Wow - what a find - I might get some also!  Thanks for the tip!

Mark Watson
1965 Ford Falcon daily driver
1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' - in the middle of a slow restoration
plus various other transportation devices